Monday, April 5, 2010

Behind the Mask

They find my face
But turn away
They laugh at me;
laugh at my mask
They don't know what they are doing--
They don't know it hurts
So much more than it should
It's too far down to see--
All I see is darkness
I'm afraid to jump
But I want to find out.
I hear the rustling of a river
A force pushes me down--
Down into the deep depths.
I fall into the rose bushes
The thorns tear at my flesh--
It had all been a mean joke
There was no river
They tell me to face the truth
They ask me
Why I don't understand
That no one wants me
That no one cares.
I say I'm afraid--
I stay behind my mask
Afraid to face reality
I am blinded by fear and pain
I just want it all to go away.

1 comment:

mugen said...

nice poem. flows well, and i like the concept of masks. common, but very meaningful. everyone ha them though. i wonder if anyone has the courage to not wear a mask...that would be an adventure. nice poem. thought provoking...